What if your product management discipline consisted of two integrated teams – problem-finders and problem-solvers? You’d realize four key benefits – higher customer retention, faster growth, better day-to-day execution in the trenches and greater influence.
You only need a select few problem-finders, 10-20% of your team. They have no day-to-day product ownership. Their focus is to understand how broad industry/market dynamics impact strategic initiatives and business practices at all levels within your target-customer organizations.
- Identify the highest value business needs from top to bottom in each market as a means of setting direction for your portfolio.
- Define positioning of current offerings relative to the most critical needs in each market segment
- Socialize market information regularly to ensure consensus market perspectives across the organization.
The majority of your team will be problem-solvers, 80-90%. They own the day-to-day care and feeding of your products and are regarded as the experts on products and user work processes.
- Team with problem-finders to define high value solutions and plan new growth initiatives across the portfolio that solve larger scale problems and drive new growth for the organization.
- Improve the value of existing products to retain customers.
- Manage the day-to-day execution of all product initiatives
Integrating problem-finders and problem-solvers into a cohesive product management and marketing discipline is the easiest way to achieve maximum strategic impact. A discipline that improves customer retention, delivers new growth initiatives and executes with higher predictability is destined for greater influence.
Your Next Steps
- Forward to colleagues using the email icon below.
- Share with your social networks (LinkedIn) (Facebook) (Twitter).
- Contact Proficientz to learn how our framework creates a more influential product management and marketing discipline.
- Enter comments using the post a comment link below.
- Join our mailing list to get these best practices delivered directly to your inbox.
Make a statement and certify skills uniquely valuable to B2B organizations.