Five Reasons to Take This Course
- Perceptions of product management are that it’s too tactical/not strategic enough.
- The ever-changing sales pipeline has too much influence on (ever-changing) product priorities.
- Product backlogs are created in silos and teams are constantly competing for resources.
- You’ll acquire strategic planning skills that are valuable regardless of role or career path.
- You’ll be able to communicate your strategy and backlogs in pure value context. Features optional!
TRAINING LOCATION: Serendipity Labs, 100 North Point Center East, Alpharetta, GA 30022
Customer Outcomes Lead the Way!
Imagine that you have 10 or more products. That means you have 10 or more #1 priorities. It’s just not manageable, and it rarely produces anything more than tactical product enhancements that aren’t strategic to the customer or your organization.
If there’s a perception that your product management team is too tactical, this strategic roadmapping course is exactly what you need to change that perception. It’s a clinic for creating plans, priorities and solutions that drive customer outcomes with strategic value. You’ll learn how to align all products to the top-down business goals, priorities and success metrics of your target customers.
It simplifies everything and improves the collective value of your portfolio as well as every product. You’ll walk away with advanced portfolio product management skills that accelerate your career growth and improve the strategic value of your team.
At the End of This Course, You’ll Know “How To”…
- Be the go-to person that leads strategic planning efforts for your organization with a simple framework that makes sense to everyone.
- Create a change-resistant strategic roadmap by aligning your portfolio investment priorities to the strategic goals, operational priorities and success metrics of your target customers. When their priorities change, yours follow.
- Create a single strategic roadmap for the portfolio that eliminates competing product priorities by aligning everything to common customer business goals and metrics.
- Gather strategic business requirements from the C-suite down instead of focusing only on users and job tasks.
- Quantify the customer value of your solutions so that investment priorities across all products are simple and straight forward.
- Quantify the most lucrative markets for the portfolio instead of doing it for each product and ending up with too many #1 priorities that can’t be executed.
- Define and prioritize business solutions from the customers’ perspective so that all product teams are collaborating on high-value initiatives instead of competing on tactical priorities.
- Groom product backlogs with guaranteed strategic value by using the portfolio roadmap as the jumping point.
- Communicate your strategic roadmap to internal and external audiences without going into the weeds on product features, i.e., sticking to a simple value dialogue.
Strategic Roadmapping Course Agenda
This course is a hands-on workshop where you’ll apply B2B best practices to your markets, products and business model. You’ll have great examples to work from so that you know “what good looks like” and won’t have to figure it out after the training.
- Segmenting Markets – Every key decision starts with an answer to “Who are our target customers?” A single consistent definition of target markets across the portfolio is the goal.
- Creating Personas by Business Function – If your goal is to deliver solutions with greater strategic value, it starts by understanding your target customers a few layers above the users. You’ll love the simplicity of this exercise.
- Creating Strategic Market & Business Requirements – Imagine for a moment that your company and its products don’t exist, but the customer organizations that you serve do. Would it change anything about their top-down business goals and priorities? Of course not. This is the formula for what good market/business requirements look like.
- Defining Business Solutions From the Customers’ Perspective – Customers think in terms of business goals, obstacles or problems and metrics. Learn a fresh new definition of high-value business solutions that may encompass multiple products.
- Quantifying & Prioritizing Multiple Opportunities – Take the emotion away from product investment decisions and achieve the perfect balance of value to the customer and ROI to your organization.
- Using the Strategic Roadmap to Groom Product Backlogs – When customer business goals are the focal point, finding and eliminating the biggest obstacles simplifies enhancement priorities for individual products.
- Presenting a Strategic Roadmap That Energizes All Audiences – Answer all of the WHO, WHAT & WHY value questions first so that the HOW product priorities make perfect sense to everyone.
8:30: Continental Breakfast
9:00: Class Begins
12:00 – 1:00: Lunch (provided by Proficientz)
CANCELLATION POLICY: You may cancel your registration up to 48 hours prior to the event and receive a full refund. Any cancellations within 48 hours are non-refundable but may be transferred to another individual.
Your Facilitator & Coach
John Mansour is a product management trainer and thought leader. As the founder and managing partner at Proficientz, John developed the first and only framework for B2B product portfolio management. John is consistently pushing the envelope to reinvent and simplify all aspects of product management, product marketing and sales enablement to help clients grow faster.
As the managing partner of Proficientz, John has worked with more than 2000 organizations that span high technology, business services, telecom, healthcare, financial services, manufacturing and many others. John served as the chairman for the Technology Association of Georgia’s Product Management Society from 2006 – 2010.